Tuesday, September 25, 2007
for my second post I am putting up the link for a news story that is in current headlines. The link is http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/09/24/polygamist.trial/index.html. In the story a polygamist prophet was found guilty of aiding rape. Just reflecting on this it is hard to imagine such practices exist in America still. Just cause we turn a blind eye to certain things doesn't mean that it doesn't go on. The article says marriage were also arranged for girls as young as thirteen. I wont judge, Sometimes though, it is hard to believe the things people do for their respective faith.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
The defense in the trial is partially freedom of religion, isn't it? How do/should we balance legal concerns around the good of society against freedom of religious beliefs?
I also find it hard to believe that such practices exist here in our country. To answer your question professor i believe you should have religious freedoms as long as it doesn't break any moral, or federal/state laws? Abel what do you think?
It is just an excuse to justified what some people do. see some followers are so deep into their relgious beliefs that they would do anything to have a "clean concious" just because it's the right thing to do, according to the religion that they are into. Take for example in the catholic church prists molesting young boys what is the excuse for that.
To answer you question marcos I once had a history teacher who often quoted " I can swing to punch till the tip of your nose". Overall,I don' think, greater minds than mine are employed to do such things.
We are a country of laws. No man is above the law. Even a (Holy Man)in some one's is bound by our laws. Freedom of religion does not excuse rape.
Post a Comment