Senator john McCaine recently had an interview with beliefnet.com For those not aware who the Senator is , he is an honorable man who was POW for 10 years in Vietnam. He is also an unabashed episcopolian christian who is currently a baptist. IN the interview he made comment some might see as deragatory:
Has the candidates’ personal faith become too big an issue in the presidential race?
Questions about that are very legitimate.... And it's also appropriate for me at certain points in the conversation to say, look, that's sort of a private matter between me and my Creator.... But I think the number one issue people should make [in the] selection of the President of the United States is, 'Will this person carry on in the Judeo Christian principled tradition that has made this nation the greatest experiment in the history of mankind?'"
Which he later corrected as meaning that this nation was built on the principle of humanity in christianity which it was so its not a big deal to me.
But his next comment:"... personally, I prefer someone who I know who has a solid grounding in my faith. But that doesn't mean that I'm sure that someone who is Muslim would not make a good president. I don't say that we would rule out under any circumstances someone of a different faith. I just would--I just feel that that's an important part of our qualifications to lead.*"
Why does religion matter in any way shape or form to the presidential position? It is a job like any other and like any other religion has no bearing in ability. I admire the senator as he is a national hero who was a pow for 10 years, but comments like this make him look rather foolish. By saying he prefers a christian as president not only is he insulting the islamic culture by saying they can't run this country he is also inferring they are a religion on hate and insensitvity. Of course this all reading between the lines, but I assure there are various muslims reading between the lines. Hopefully comments like these are few in the upcoming presidential race.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I agree with you, what did he mean.
I wonder what Jesus would say if he came back and saw what people were doing and saying in his name. Your blog was correct what kind of leaders are we choosing from. The senator was a POW for 10 years, but that does not allow him to be intolerant or ignorant.
Post a Comment